Yes, it is originally an Irish surname, but I can't help but love it for a boy's first name. It is bold but sophisticated. With the possible nicknames Des/Dez or Desi/Dezi, this name is starting to gain popularity in the US.
Desmond first appeared on 8 US birth certificates in 1904. It slowly picked up steam every year after that with its largest naming spike in 1992 when 1,067 boys were born, ranking it at #264 on the Top 1000 chart. As of 2012, there were 920 baby boy Desmonds born, putting the name at a rank of #339.
There have also been a handful of girls named Desmond almost every year since 1975. However, usage began slowing down in the 2000s, ending its female usage in 2007.
A Few Famous Desmonds:
- Desmond Bishop - American football player
- Desmond Bryant - American football player
- Desmond Dekker - Jamaican musician (The Beatles' song "Ob-la-Di, Ob,La-Da" was said to be written about this Desmond.)
- Desmond Harrington - American actor who plays "Detective Joseph Quinn" on "Dexter"
- Desmond Howard - former American football player
- Desmond Morris - English zoologist
- Desmond Tutu - South African activist
- and many others, including some with the last name Desmond.
My Favorite Desmond's are from Pop Culture:
- Desmond David Hume- character from TV series LOST
- Desmond Miles - Assassin's Creed protagonist
While I personally love this name, what do you think of this name for a baby boy? Let me know in the comments below!
Sibling Name Ideas:
Sisters: Adele, Aurelia, Elodie, Hazel, Margot, Madeleine, Rosalie, Vivian
Brothers: Beckett, Callum, Donovan, Ewan, Finnegan, Kellan, Rafferty, Teague
Middle Name Ideas:
As a Middle Name: